JKB Entertainment Group/Limelight Magazine, in partnership with the Narrows Center for the Arts, is hosting an “Opening Act” Contest on September 8, 2016, at 7 PM. A portion of the proceeds will be given to a local no kill animal shelter.
The “Opening Act” Contest will spotlight local, up-and-coming musicians, giving them an opportunity to be the support act for a show booked by JKB Entertainment Group/Limelight Magazine in 2017, as well as the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA, also in 2017. On top of that, the winner will be the featured artist on a segment of WATD’s “Almost Famous” and be given the opportunity to play a live set on their Tiny Stage. While the winner will be guaranteed a support act slot, all participants will be the only acts considered to open up for any show booked by JKB Entertainment Group/Limelight Magazine in 2017 when a national touring act requests a local opener.
All musicians wishing to register for the “Opening Act” Contest must read and accept the following rules and regulations before completing the registration form. Please note there is NO entry fee for this contest, but we need you to submit your completed registration form, along with a five minute or less YouTube link of you or your band performing original, live music (no covers) to email@example.com by Friday, July 22, 2016, at 5 PM. (For those unable to scan the registration form as a PDF, it can be mailed to us at JKB Entertainment Group, P.O. Box 79263, Dartmouth, MA 02747).
Click HERE for the entry form.
Summary of Rules, Regulations, and Scoring Criteria
- This contest is for any band or solo musician from New England performing any genre of original music. Since this opportunity is aimed at up and coming bands and artists, entrants cannot be signed to a contract or a label at the time of entry through the duration of the contest.
- After the co-owners of JKB Entertainment Group have reviewed the entry materials, six to eight finalists will be selected and contacted on Saturday, July 23, 2016.
- The finalists will perform at Narrows Center, located at 16 Anawan Street in Fall River, MA, on September 8, 2016, beginning at 7 PM. Each band will be allotted 15 minutes to perform. (For every minute exceeding the 15 minute limit, the band will be penalized 5 points from their total score.) All musicians should be at the venue by 5 p.m. to draw their time slots. We ask that everyone stays until the end of the event to support the other musicians.
- The songs must not include profanity. All songs and performances must be family-friendly. Only original songs will be permitted.
- There is no limit to the number of bands who wish to apply for the competition, but no more than eight will be chosen.
- Each competing band will receive two complementary tickets in order to gain awareness and build their fan-base for the show. All other tickets will be full price at $12 general admission.
- Judging is done on a 1-20 scale by up to three qualified judges. The criteria on which the bands will be judged are explained below. The final criteria, however, is a vote of the audience. Each band will be pro-rated points based on how they rank by the audience vote. (First place = 20 points, second place = 18 points, third place = 16 points, etc.).
- A backline drum kit, bass amp, and vocal mics will be provided that the artists must use to move the event along quickly. Bands must provide their own instruments, guitar amps, and pedal effects. Drummers must supply their own snare and cymbals. Vocalists may supply their own mic if desired.
Judging Scale and Criteria
1) Music (This criteria is based on clarity, lyrical content and overall musical performance) 1-20
2) Stage Presence and Crowd Interaction (This criteria is based on how well the band “rocks out” and how well the band connects with the crowd) 1-20
3) Appearance and Personality (This criteria is based on the overall look and personality. If you want to be a rock star, you need to look the part) 1-20
4) Original Material (This criteria judges the most important part of your act, your original material! Musicians want to show originality in both their lyrical and instrumental performance to impress the judges) 1-20
5) Audience Vote (The key ingredient to rock stardom: THE FANS!) 1-20
JKB Entertainment Group/Limelight Magazine and the Narrows Center for the Arts will determine what national touring act the winner opens for. Support act slots always need final approval by the artist’s manager. We also need to make sure the winner’s genre of music fits the national act they will be appearing with.
Click HERE for the entry form.